WEIGHT loss diets require some level of regiment – cutting back on certain foods and trying to eat more of others. Many people fall into the trap of making the same meals day in, day out, which puts you at risk of becoming bored and falling off the diet bandwagon. If you’re looking for food inspiration try out these three recipes that follow the increasingly popular keto diet.
The keto diet – its full name the ketogenic diet – is a high-fat and low-carbohydrate plan.
Health and performance are among its supposed benefits, but the keto diet – as it’s also known – is said to force the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates, leading to weight loss.
The diet is specifically designed to result in a process called ketosis – one 2010 study from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that in six weeks a group following a low carb diet lost 13.7 lbs, almost a stone.
So how does the keto diet work?
For those that already know, Dr Axe offers three keto diet recipes that will help you stay on track with your weight loss plan.
1–1¼ cups full-fat coconut milk
½ frozen avocado
1 tablespoon nut butter of choice
1 tablespoon chia seeds, soaked in 3 tablespoons of water for 10 minutes
2 teaspoons cacao or cocoa powder OR 1 scoop of chocolate bone broth protein powder
1 tablespoon coconut oil
for topping: cacao nibs and cinnamon
¼ cup water, if needed
- Add contents into a high-powered blender, blending until well-combined.
- Top with cacao nibs and cinnamon.
Gluten-free cauliflower mac and cheese
1 large cauliflower head, cut into small florets
½-¾ cup kefir
½ cup goat’s milk cottage cheese, pureed
1½ tsp Dijon mustard
1½ cups grated sheep’s or goat’s milk cheddar cheese, plus additional for topping
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt
⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease 8” x 8” pan with ghee.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add cauliflower and cook until slightly tender, about five minutes. Drain and pat dry with paper towels. Spread in prepared pan.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, mix together kefir, cottage cheese, and mustard until smooth.
- In a saucepan over medium high heat, mix together the cottage cheese, kefir and mustard until smooth.
- Stir in cheese, sea salt, black pepper, and garlic powder until cheese just starts to melt. Pour over cauliflower and stir. Top with additional cheese if desired and bake for 10–15 minutes.
High-Fat, Low-Carb Pancakes
½ cup plus 1 tbsp almond flour
½ cup grass-fed cream cheese
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter or avocado oil, for frying
- Mix all ingredients in a blender.
- In a frying pan, over medium heat, add in the butter or oil.
- Pour in two to three tablespoons of batter per pancake and turn over once the centre begins to bubble (usually takes about three to four minutes).
- Top with butter and cinnamon.